How to best catch Pokemon
How difficult is it to catch Pokemon?
When you come across a Pokemon in the wild, you will notice that there is a circle around the Pokemon. The colour of this circle indicates how much the Pokemon will try and break free from the PokeBall.
The type of Pokemon strongly influences what colour it is and it's not just the CP.
- Green: This is quite easy to catch
- Yellow: This is still quite easy, although the Pokemon could break out
- Orange: This is hard to catch
- Red: This is very hard to catch for your level
Wait for the circle to be small
When you come across a Pokemon in the wild, you will notice that there is a circle around the Pokemon. Aim to throw your Poke ball in this circle.
The circle will grow and shrink continuously, you will have the best chance of catching the Pokemon when the circle is smallest.
This trick has been confirmed by an Employee of the developer of Pokemon Go.
Nice, Great and excellent throws
If you're hitting the Pokemon very accurately, you will receive an XP bonus!
- Nice: 10 XP - The circle around the Pokemon was quite large and you throw the ball inside that circle.
- Great: 50 XP - Your circle is roughly half of how big it gets and you throw the ball inside that circle.
- Excellent 100 XP - Your circle is very small and you throw the ball inside the circle. This is the best throw in the game, it gets you good XP and increases your chance of capturing the Pokemon.
To gain extra XP (10) and increase your chance of capturing the Pokemon, hold the Poke ball and spin it in circles to throw a curved ball (aim away from the Pokemon as it does curve massively). This is quite difficult in the beginning and takes a little while to master. Make sure you've got enough Poke Balls to practice with!
Use the right Poke Balls and Razz Berry
If the Pokemon has a orange or red circle you will have a much higher chance of catching the Pokemon if you use a Razz Berry or better Poke Balls. For red circles it's recommend to combine both of these.
Pokemon attack me while I'm trying to capture them
While you're trying to capture a Pokemon, they sometimes hit the ball or attack you directly. During these animations you normally can't capture the Pokemon and waste your balls. This becomes worse as you hit level 20 as the Pokemon will jump out at you after you throw the ball. To increase your chances, simply wait for the Pokemon to attack you and throw the ball as he finishes the attack.